Thursday 29 May 2008

"Here we go again, on another great trip..."

something's got me (re)started. again...  
this afternoon, i took a couple of hours off work and went to Iguana Studios in Brixton, South London, with a demo-copy of my album in my bag, to sit down and talk plans through with the owner and main producer at the studios.  
it wasn't at this table. but i love this shot. the space, the freedom, the lighting, the pregnancy, the possibilities it holds... it looks like a stage set, to me.  
instead, we went and settled into the back room of this complex, just the two of us in a cramped little office, a demo-version of my album playing on one of the pcs, as we discussed ideas track by track...  
i really hadn't expected us to listen to the whole thing (and felt kind of bad, *making* someone go through all that?!), but he seemed to like it, so we did. i've recorded there before, and he seemed to like my new direction. he was honest and frank about what he thought worked and which tracks he felt didn't quite sit right with the rest of the album. he also said some totally crazy things, i mean such outlandish stuff, i blushed and moved the conversation right along....hmm... much like this...
there's something about working with a warm, friendly italian guy who has built his own studio. he is brutally honest about the 'industry'. nothing he said surprised or disheartened me, but instead reinforced my personal reasons for doing all this.  
he's a talented guitarist, who decided to build his studios within the shell of an abandoned WW2 bullet factory in South London. boxes and boxes of copies of his own album piled up and lined the walls around us, his beautiful acoustic guitar - handmade by a friend - lay on the sofa behind us...  
it has to be here.  
anyway, before i knew it, 2hrs had passed and we'd laid some rough plans to record the album... 
most likely we'll do it in 3 chunks, seeing as i haven't won the lottery (yet) and so, have to budget for all this... 
but like i told him, my main, central reason for doing this is my own sanity. this dog will not leave me alone, won't cease barking, yapping & snapping. but he did manage to talk me down from 12-tracks to 10, and suggested we record an e.p. first, and see how i feel after that...  
i am well aware that i need a realistic, calm partner in almost everything i do, and feel very lucky to have found such a great, honest producer. i reckon it'll take a year. but with Andrea on my side, i know it'll be a fun, if emotionally & financially draining ride!  
wish me luck!

No comments: